After The Storm
After severe weather has passed, please take the following steps and precautions:
- Stay clear of all fallen tree limbs and electrical wires as well as anything they are touching - such as puddles and metal fences.
- If a power line has fallen on the car you are in, remain in the car until help arrives. Do not attempt to pull away. A cellular phone may be used to call 911 for help.
- Notify local fire, police, and electric utility officials about downed power lines.
- Do not enter damaged buildings with flame lanterns, candles or lighted cigarettes because there may be gas leaks.
- If possible, stay off the road. If you have to drive, watch out for trees and wires in the roadway. Do not drive across a downed power line. Treat all nonworking traffic lights as stop signs and proceed cautiously at intersections.
- Try to keep people and traffic away from downed power lines until officials arrive.